The Growth of a Village
In 1776, when General George Washington undertook his momentous crossing of the Delaware, the brown stone McConkey Ferry Inn was the only building on this site.
Shortly thereafter, the Taylor Family purchased the Inn and surrounding land making way for the development of the 19th century village of Taylorsville. After expanding the McConkey Ferry Inn, brothers Mahlon and Bernard built homes for themselves: the federal style Mahlon K. Taylor house and the present day Washington Crossing Inn. The surrounding homes were built as tenant houses to comprise a self-sufficient community including homes for a blacksmith, wheelwright, tailor, physician, a general store and post office.
The 1830's brought the expansion of Taylorsville and construction of a wooden covered bridge across the Delaware. Shortly after its completion, the structure was destroyed by a flood and rebuilt a few years later. The existing steel bridge, opened in 1905, is the third bridge to be built at the site of Washington's historic crossing of the Delaware
Erected by Washington Crossing Historic Park.
Location. 40° 17.663′ N, 74° 52.224′ W. Marker is in Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington’s Crossing and March to Trenton (a few steps from this marker); The Durham Boat (a few steps from this marker); A Nation's Signature Event (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Crossing the Delaware (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Crossed the Delaware (about 600 feet away); Washington Crossing (about 600 feet away); Washington's Crossing of Delaware (about 700 feet away); The Christmas Night Crossing (approx. 0.2 miles away in New Jersey). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington Crossing.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.