Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Oak Hill in Fayette County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oakwood Mine Complex

 
 
Oakwood Mine Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
1. Oakwood Mine Complex Marker
Inscription. White Oak Fuel Company built the Oakwood Mine Complex in 1902. In 1915, 21 miners died when gas in the mine exploded. A year later, the original wooden tipple was upgraded to a multi-story steel structure. New River Company ran the mine after absorbing White Oak Fuel, a subsidiary, in 1936. Peak output was 515,936 tons in 1940. The mine shut down in 1965.
 
Erected 2012 by West Virginia Dep Abandoned Mine Lands
West Virginia Archives & History.
 
Location. 37° 57.878′ N, 81° 11.425′ W. Marker is near Oak Hill, West Virginia, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of West Virginia Route 612 and Torrey Fork Road (County Route 15/2), on the right when traveling west on State Route 612. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oak Hill WV 25901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glen Jean Athletic Club (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Rebirth of Paint Creek (approx. 5.1 miles away); Mossy (approx. 5.1 miles away); Coal Camp History (approx. 5.1 miles away); Thurmondís Decline (approx. 6 miles
Wide view of the Oakwood Mine Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
2. Wide view of the Oakwood Mine Complex Marker
away); The Heart of Town (approx. 6 miles away); The Railroad Was the Town (approx. 6 miles away); Thurmond, West Virginia (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The New River Company, one of the largest coal producers in Southern West Virginia Coalfield. (Submitted on August 31, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
New River Company Store image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
3. New River Company Store
While the rest of the buildings have been demolished and the lands undergoing rehabilitation, the old company store is the last reminder of the Oakwood Mine Complex.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement