Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Staﬀord Opera House
Built 1886 by R.E. Stafford, 1834-1890, millionaire cattleman. Stately interior (which seated 1,000) had gas-burning chandeliers and an elaborate hand-painted curtain. Architect was N.J. Clayton, who designed many opulent Texas buildings. Opening performance, "As in a Looking Glass," starred famous Lillian Russell. Magician Houdini also played here, as did other prominent entertainers. On performance days, special trains ran from distant towns.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Comittee. (Marker Number 5087.)
Location. 29° 42.318′ N, 96° 32.427′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Milam Street (Texas Highway 52), on the right when traveling east on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Memorial Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Stafford-Miller House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rangers of Austin's Colony (within shouting distance Tumlinson Family (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (about 400 feet away); District Court Tree (about 500 feet away); Stage Lines Through Columbus (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding Old Stafford Opera House. This Building is in the National Register of Historic Places
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 4. submitted on September 4, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.