Osceola And The Early Pioneers
Osceola, the county seat and geographical center of Polk County is said to have been named after the Indian Chief Osceola of Florida. It was first located three miles southeast of the present site. The present location was made permanent October 10, 1871. The post office was established June, 1872 and the town was incorporated on August 26, 1881. At this date, Osceola was the terminus of the mail route from Lincoln via Ulysses. The Union Pacific Railroad ran its first train into Osceola June 23, 1879, giving direct communication with the outer world.
Polk County has been the home of three governors, Albinus Nance, John H. Mickey and Ashton C. Shallenberger.
Erected by Osceola Lions Club; Historical Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 57.)
Marker series. This marker is included
Location. 41° 11.051′ N, 97° 32.612′ W. Marker is in Osceola, Nebraska, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of Valley Street and U.S. 81, on the left when traveling west on Valley Street. Touch for map. The marker is on Valley Street to the west of the cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Osceola NE 68651, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lincoln Highway - Gardiner Station Section (approx. 11.8 miles away); Gardiner School (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.