Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Benjamin Beery House

1854; 1887

 
 
Benjamin Beery House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 17, 2014
1. Benjamin Beery House Marker
Inscription.
Italianate style house built for Benjamin Washington Beery (1822-1892), partner in Cassidey & Beery Shipyard; and wife, Ann Eliza Williams (1827-1865). Served as school and convent of Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy,1869-1870. Double piazzas added by James F. Post, Architect, when purchased by Col. William Parker Canaday (1843-1892), republican politician who served as Sergeant-at-Arms of the U.S. Senate.
 
Erected by Historic Wilmington Foundation, Inc.
 
Location. 34° 13.82′ N, 77° 56.792′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection of Nun Street and South 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on Nun Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Nun Street, Wilmington NC 28401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward B. Dudley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Sprunt (about 300 feet away); Gregory Normal Institute (about 400 feet away); Alex Manly (about 400 feet away); Daggett-Taylor House (about 400 feet away); Sprunt House
Benjamin Beery House image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 17, 2014
2. Benjamin Beery House
(about 400 feet away); Judah P. Benjamin (about 500 feet away); Cassidey Shipyard (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Also see . . .  The Verandas - History of the Inn. (Submitted on September 17, 2014.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Benjamin Washington Beery House 1854 image. Click for full size.
August 17, 2014
3. Benjamin Washington Beery House 1854
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   3. submitted on September 17, 2014. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement