Meridian in Lauderdale County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Dial House Site
Build ca. 1870 by industrialist J.R. Dial. His son, E.H. Dial, who served as mayor (1893-1901) also lived here. The city's code of ordinances was adopted during his term, and he was responsible for many civic improvements. In 1899, he wrote the play Queen of the East, in which Meridian is referred to as the “Queen City.”
Erected 2006 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 32° 22.016′ N, 88° 42.527′ W. Marker is in Meridian, Mississippi, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of 30th Avenue and 10th Street, on the left when traveling north on 30th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 30th Avenue, Meridian MS 39301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merrehope (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Merrehope (about 300 feet away); The Impact of Churches (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wechsler School (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different Wechsler School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitfield "Big Central" High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Temple Theater (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freedom School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meridian.
Regarding Dial House Site. The house was demolished because of its condition, and a Habitat for Humanity house now occupies the spot.
On December 17, 1979, (well before its demolition) the National Park Service certified Dial House as a national historic site, and assigned it the reference number 79003388.
Also see . . . E.H. Dial and "The Queen of the East". (Submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 274 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.