Algoma in Kewaunee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Church of St. Agnes-by-the-Lake
The first church edifice, originally named "Grace Church", was erected on this site in 1878. This building was a brick veneer interpretation of the plan for a board and batten church found in Richard Upjohn's pattern book Rural Architecture (1852). Upjohn, founding member of The American Institute of Architects and designer of Wall Street's famous Trinity Church, was the brother-in-law of the first Episcopal Bishop of Fond du Lac, John Henry Hobart Brown.
Having burned to the ground in 1884, it was not until 1891 that sufficient funds were available to rebuild the church. The present building, reconsecrated as "St. Agnes-by-the-Lake", was built on the salvaged foundation and confirms exactly to the original plan.
Erected 1995 by the Kewaunee County Historical Society.
Location. 44° 36.344′ N, 87° 26.262′ W. Marker is in Algoma, Wisconsin, in Kewaunee County. Marker is at the intersection of Third Street and Lake Street (County Highway S), on the left when traveling north on Third Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 806 Fourth Street, Algoma WI 54201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Door-Kewaunee County College / Henry Diefenbach Sculptures (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Legion Park (about 600 feet away); Officer Ronald L. Leist (approx. ¼ mile away); Christmas Tree Ship Point (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schooner Daniel Lyons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brickyards (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lumber Industry in Algoma (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bruemmerville (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Algoma.
Also see . . .
1. St. Agnes Episcopal Church. (Submitted on September 20, 2014.)
2. St Agnes-by-the-Lake Episcopal Church (Algoma, Wisconsin). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on September 20, 2014.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 20, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.