Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laurel Hill in Scotland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Original Richmond Cotton Mill

 
 
Original Richmond Cotton Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 19, 2014
1. Original Richmond Cotton Mill Marker
Inscription.
First textile manufacturing plant in Scotland County, built by Col. Charles Malloy in 1867. Powered by water wheels. Machinery said to have come from a sunken blockade runner. Leased by Mark Morgan in 1872 and became the first of the Morgan Mills. Located here.
 
Location. 34° 49.225′ N, 79° 31.767′ W. Marker is in Laurel Hill, North Carolina, in Scotland County. Marker is on Old Wire Road (State Highway 144) west of Crest Mill Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laurel Hill NC 28351, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Murdoch Morrison Gun Factory (here, next to this marker); Murdoch Morrison (here, next to this marker); Sherman's March (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ida Yarn Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Original Springfield Cotton Mill (approx. 2.6 miles away); Old Laurel Hill Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Sherman's March (approx. 4.2 miles away); Laurinburg Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laurel Hill.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Original Richmond Cotton Mill Marker next to the Murdoch Morrison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 19, 2014
2. Original Richmond Cotton Mill Marker next to the Murdoch Morrison Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement