Near Fredericktown in Knox County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Greenville Treaty Line
Waterford Road, Knox County, Ohio
—Second of a series of three, in Knox County —
Greenville Treaty Line/ Organized 1797
The starred line marks the crossing of Knox County of the Greenville Treaty Line as surveyed by Israel Ludlow between 1797 and 1799; that part running from near fort Laurens in the eastern part of the state, to a point near Fort Recovery, thence southwesterly to a point on the Ohio River opposite the mouth of the Kentucky River.
The Greenville Treaty was signed August 3, 1795, and by the terms of the Treaty the Indians tribes gave up their claims to the lands south of and east of this line.
Erected 2008 by Bicentennial Commission of Knox County.
Location. 40° 31.599′ N, 82° 35.842′ W. Marker is near Fredericktown, Ohio, in Knox County. Marker is on Waterford Road (County Route 6) 0.1 miles north of Yankee Street (County Route 55), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in the small cross road village of Batemantown. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19798 Waterford Rd, Fredericktown OH 43019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Greenville Treaty Line (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chesterville Veterans Memorial Mt. Vernon (approx. 10.4 miles away); Vallandigham's Speech, 1863 (approx. 10.9 miles away); Civil War Soldiers Monument (approx. 10.9 miles away); Mary Ann Ball (approx. 10.9 miles away); Knox County Veterans Walk of Honor (approx. 10.9 miles away); Johnny Appleseed's Early Landholdings (approx. 11.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Greenville Treaty Line - Markers already in HMDB::. (Submitted on September 24, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.