San Patricio in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Patricio de Hibernia
Named in honor of Saint Patrick the Patron Saint of Ireland.
As the frontier outpost of Texas when the revolution began San Patricio 1835-1845 suffered all the miseries of that conflict with no compensating returns. At and near San Patricio, on February 27, 1836 general Jose Urrea's division of Santa Anna's Army surprised and overwhelmed Johnson's Texan party of 35 men, 9 or 10 Texans were killed, 6 or 7 escaped and 20 were sent to Matamoros as prisoners. After San Jacinto the town was destroyed and its inhabitants driven away.
In memory of Rev. Henry Doyle, Rev. T.J. Molloy, Wm. O'Docharty, Geo. O'Docharty, Walter Henry, Patrick Henry, John Hart, Michael Haley, Mark Killalea, Wm. Hefferman, Oceola Archer, Lewis Ayers, Catherine Hoye, Owen Gaffney, John Ross, Wm. Pugh early settlers of San Patricio.
John McMullen delegate to the consultation, 1835. John Turner, John White Bower, signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
John McGloin, John Fadden, Dennis McGowan, Andrew M. O'Boyle, Geo. Pettuck, Matthew Byrne, Patrick Nevin, Edward Garner, Edward Ryan, Dennis Mahoney, Miles Andross, W.M. Quinn
San Patricio has contributed the following distinguished citizens.
Patrick O'Docharty, Susanna O'Docharty, Thomas O'Callaghan, Patrick McGloin, Chris Sullivan, Rose K. Mahoney, John Ryan, Geo. McCowan, Catherine Ryan, James McKeown, Patrick McMurray, Thomas Magowan, Wm. P. Allen, Mary Ann Collins, Hubert Timon, David Odem, John Timon, Andrew Jackson Brown, John Donahue, Mary E. McCloin, Margaret Hart McFall, Patrick Brennan, Margaret Baldeschwiler, John Corrigan, Margaret Q. James, Andrew Gerhardt, Matthew Kivlin, James Grover, Robert Weir, Eliza A. Sullivan, J. Chrys Dougherty, Steve J. Lewis, Joe E. Sullivan, Hugh Touhy, John Dee.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4550.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 27° 57.107′ N, 97° 46.376′ W. Marker is in San Patricio, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Farm to Market Road 666) and McGloin Street (County Route 1740), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mathis TX 78368, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Josepha Rodriguez (a few steps from this marker); Battle of San Patricio (a few steps from this marker); Saint Patrick's Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Education in San Patricio (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Dougherty House (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Cemetery on the Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 11.6 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Patricio.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 465 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.