Fond du Lac in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Locomotive No. 2714
...a memorial to the era of steam railroading
This engine was built in 1911 by the American Locomotive Company of New York. It was one of four engines purchased by the Wisconsin Central in May, 1911. It was built light for passenger service. It weighs almost 100 tons. It was fired by a stoker and the tender held 12,000 gallons of water and 175 tons of coal and was able to maintain 200 pounds of pressure. It pulled up to 18 passenger cars and could reach 80 miles per hour.
While in service No. 2714 logged over 2 million miles. It made runs from Fond du Lac to Stevens Point and Minneapolis. At one time it also ran between here and Winnipeg, Canada. The 800 mile trip to Winnipeg, was the longest continuous run of any steam engine in the United States at the time.
This 79 year-old "iron horse" was moved to this site in July, 1955. About 20 volunteer Soo Line switch crewmen moved the locomotive to the Chicago & Northwestern tracks at North Fond du Lac. A Northwestern crew transported the engine from that site to a specially constructed spur, built by the same volunteer Soo Line crew, from the end of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad spur across the
Three sister engines have since been scrapped. This engine was retired February 15, 1955 and donated to the city of Fond du Lac by the Soo Line and Wisconsin Central Railroad and dedicated July 4th of the same year.
Refurbishing of this engine in 1990 was spearheaded by the Kiwanis Club of Fabulous Fond du Lac under the leadership of Jerry Brunette and Bob Kahl at a cost of $10,500 and re-dedicated on July 4th of that year.
Other credits go to:
City of Fond du Lac · National Exchange Bank & Trust · Schommer Brothers Electric, Inc. · Spies Painting, Inc. · George Kaprelian · Freiberg Home Improvement Center · Mercury Marine · Searl Construction · Wisconsin Central Limited
and all individuals and businesses who helped finance the project.
Location. 43° 47.669′ N, 88° 26.799′ W. Marker is in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is on North Main Street north of Harbor View Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at Lakeside Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fond du Lac WI 54935, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least G. A. R. Memorial Drive (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spanish–American War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Supple's Marsh (approx. 0.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); The Military Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wisconsin Progressive Party (approx. 1.3 miles away); Union Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Union Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fond du Lac.
Also see . . .
1. Images of 4-6-2 Pacific, Soo #2714. (Submitted on September 29, 2014.)
2. Soo locomotive, engine number 2714. 1934 photograph. (Submitted on September 29, 2014.)
3. Soo Line #2714. 2013 night photograph. (Submitted on September 29, 2014.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Locomotive No. 2714.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 29, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.