Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
To the Glory of God and in Honor of George Washington
and in honor of
who was a vestryman
in 1765 of
the old Falls Church
Built A.D. 1734
This tablet was placed by
the Falls Church Chapter,
Daughters of the
Erected 1911 by The Falls Church Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Location. 38° 52.858′ N, 77° 10.294′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Fairfax Street and South Washington Street (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is mounted by the front door of the Old Falls Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 East Fairfax Street, Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Wren (here, next to this marker); Henry Fairfax (a few steps from this marker); New York Memorial Stone at Falls Church (a few steps from this marker); The Falls Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Falls Church The Falls Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harriet and George Brice (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
Also see . . . How "Historic" Are Truro Church and The Falls Church?. By By Joan R. Gundersen, Ph.D. Gunderson argues that the current congregations at the Falls Church and the Truro Church are not the same as the colonial congregations that originally occupied these sites. "Neither is the direct descendant of a colonial parish. Neither can claim George Washington as a past member of its vestry or its congregation. Both are "new" church plants from the 1830s and 1840s." (Submitted on October 1, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 583 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.