Gerolzhofen in Landkreis Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Zunächst nur dreiseitig gemauerter Scbalenturm mit Bretterverschlag erbaut um 1350. Genutzt als Auslug und Kerker der benachbarten Vogtei. Der ursprüngliche Name war Feulturm (Faulturm), letztmalig 1830 als Gefängnis genutzt, dann Vereinsheim.
Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V.
Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung
Initially, this was only three sided brick shell tower with wooden shed, built around 1350. Used as a lookout and as a dungeon of the adjacent bailiwick. The original name was Feulturm (Digester), and used as a prison for the last time in 1830, then as a society house.
History for All - the Gerolzhofen Historical Society
Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation
Location. 49° 54.049′ N, 10° 20.838′ E. Marker is in Gerolzhofen, Bavaria, in Landkreis Schweinfurt. Marker is at the intersection of Bürgermeister-Weigand Straße and Grabenstrasse, on the right when traveling west on Bürgermeister-Weigand Straße. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bürgermeister-Weigand Straße 4, Gerolzhofen, Bavaria 97447, Germany. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Ehemalige Vogtei / Former Bailiff's Building (a few steps from this marker); Parish Church (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Baroque Crucifixion Sculpture (about 90 meters away); The Watchmen's Tower (about 90 meters away); Chapel of St. John (about 120 meters away); Centtor / "Cent" Gate (about 120 meters away); Altes Rathaus / The Old City Hall (about 150 meters away); "Gerolzhöfer Frauenaufstand" / The Gerolzhofen "Womens' Revolt" (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerolzhofen.
Also see . . . Owl's- or Witches Tower. In translation: The strikingly tall, square Owls- or Witches-tower has 5 floors and a distinctive onion dome. It dates from the 14th - 16th century. Across the market place, about 350 meters in a direct line of sight from the "Punishment Tower". Initially, the tower was used as "Bailiwick-dungeon" for witches, and from then on until 1830 as a prison. (Submitted on October 17, 2014.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
More. Search the internet for Owl's Tower.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 16, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on October 16, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.