Near Fairmont in Fillmore County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fairmont Army Air Field
The rapid influx of construction workers and military personnel needed to build and operate the field brought housing shortages, as well as an economic boost, to Fairmont and other nearby communities. Area residents welcomed the servicemen and tried to make their stay more pleasant, often inviting the soldiers into their homes. Some servicemen met their future wives while at Fairmont, and returned here after the war to raise their families.
Fairmont Army Air Field was de-activated in October 1945 and declared surplus in the spring of 1946. Part of the field is now operated as the Fairmont State Airfield.
Erected by Fillmore County Historical Society, 451st Bombardment Group (H) Ltd., Robert M. Karstensen Sr., President and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 381.)
Marker series. Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 38.297′ N, 97° 33.565′ W. Marker is near Fairmont, Nebraska, in Fillmore County. Marker is on County Route 15 south of U.S. 6, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairmont NE 68354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairmont Creamery Company (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fairmont Army Air Field (approx. 3.4 miles away); 1879 Exeter 1979 (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Purple Heart (approx. 12.8 miles away); Nebraska City-Fort Kearny Cut-Off (approx. 12.8 miles away); Moving People and Goods on the Overland Trail (approx. 12.8 miles away); Nebraska's I-80 Bicentennial Sculptures (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.