Castleton in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Battle of Hubbardton
—Seven Miles North —
Directly east is the elevation of Fort Warren, built in 1779 for defense of the northern frontier. The road from the north was route of American retreat before Burgoyne, protected by Col. Seth Warner’s rearguard action at the Battle of Hubbardton, July 7, 1777.
Erected by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Location. 43° 36.839′ N, 73° 9.969′ W. Marker is in Castleton, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of Alternate Vermont Route 4 and East Hubbardton Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 4Alternate . Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Castleton VT 05735, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conflict at Fort Warren (a few steps from this marker); Meeting of Allen and Arnold (approx. half a mile away); "Vermont's First College" (approx. 0.6 miles away); The "Old Chapel" (approx. 0.7 miles away); James Hope (approx. 0.8 miles away); Edwin L. Drake (approx. 2.4 miles away); Slate Pencil Manufacturing (approx. 3˝ miles away); First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castleton.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.