Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fair Haven in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont

 
 
First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, October 18, 2014
1. First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont Marker
Inscription.
This area of Vermont is known for its high quality slate; the first quarry was opened on Scotch Hill in 1839 by Alonson Allen & Caleb Ranney. Allen began the first manufacture of roofing slate in Vermont in 1848. By 1869 there were seventeen quarries in Fair haven of which eleven were on Scotch Hill. Quarrying of slate was important to the economy of the area and brought in many skilled Welsh immigrants who were familiar with the quarrying of slate in their native Wales.
 
Erected 1997 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
 
Location. 43° 37.118′ N, 73° 15.301′ W. Marker is in Fair Haven, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Scotch Hill Road one mile north of U.S. 4, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fair Haven VT 05743, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Matthew Lyon (approx. 1.8 miles away); Edwin L. Drake (approx. 2.2 miles away); William Miller Chapel (approx. 3.3 miles away in New York); James Hope (approx. 3.8 miles away); "Vermont's First College"
First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, October 18, 2014
2. First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont Marker
(approx. 3.9 miles away); The "Old Chapel" (approx. 3.9 miles away); Meeting of Allen and Arnold (approx. 4 miles away); Conflict at Fort Warren (approx. 4 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNatural Resources
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement