Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Marker translated into English:
From 1879 until the dissolution of Bavarian Army, this barracks housed the Royal Bavarian 2nd Field Artillery Regiment "Horn". During its existence from 1824 to 1919, it admirably performed its duty in the campaigns of 1848, 1866, 1870-71 and in the 1914-18 World War.
Location. 49° 47.767′ N, 9° 58.764′ E. Marker is in Würzburg, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Nürnberger Straße and Werner-von-Siemens Straße, on the left when traveling west on Nürnberger Straße. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Würzburg, Bavaria 97076, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frühgotische Doppeltoranlage / Early Gothic Double-Gate Structure (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Rabbiner Seligmann Bär Bamberger (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Former Synagogue (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Priesterseminar / Seminary Hof Guttenberg / St. Gallus House (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Schönbornkapelle / Schönborn Chapel (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Johann Lukas Schönlein (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Antonius Neidhardt Graf von Gneisenau / Field Marshal Antonius Neidhardt, Count of Gneisenau (approx. 3.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Würzburg.
Regarding Faulenberg Barracks. The Regiment's appellation "Horn" is in honor of the former Bavarian General and Defense Minister Carl von Horn.
Also see . . . Alte Feuerwehrschule Würzburg (The Old Würzburg Firemens School). Stephan Kuhn's blog (in German) provides photos and a history of the barracks. Picking up where the marker left off: Between 1919 and 1939, the barracks were first used by the police, and there after by machinegun- and communications units. From 1945, the barracks was used by the American armed forces. (Submitted on October 24, 2014.)
Categories. • War, World I •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.