Oil Springs in Lambton County, Ontario — Central Canada
First Oil Wells in Canada
Les Premiers Puits de Pétrole au Canada
The presence of oil in this locality was observed by early travelers and by the pioneer farmers who used it for medical purposes. In 1858, near Oil Springs, James M. Williams dug the first oil well in Canada and later established a refinery at Hamilton. In 1861, John Shaw, by drilling into rock, opened the first flowing well, its situation being Lot 18, Concession 2, Enniskillen Township. From these beginnings developed one of Canada’s most important industries.
La présence de pétrole dans cette région fut remarquée par les premiers voyageurs et les pionniers, qui l’utilisaient à des fins médicinales. En 1858, près de Oil Springs, James M. Williams creusa la premier puits de pétrole du Canada et créa plus tard un raffinerie à Hamilton. En 1861, John Shaw, en forant dans le roc, ouvrit le premier puits de pétrole à écoulement naturel dans le lot 18, concession 2 de canton d’Enniskillen. Cette découverte amorça le développement de l’une des industries le plus importantes du Canada.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. 42° 46.382′ N, 82° 7.25′ W. Marker is in Oil Springs, Ontario Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2423 Kelly Road, Oil Springs, Ontario N0N, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Victoria Hall (approx. 12.2 kilometers away); The Founding of Petrolia (approx. 12.2 kilometers away); Robert M. Nicol Library (approx. 12.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Dresden (approx. 20.9 kilometers away); Henson House (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Josiah Henson (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Spirituality and Community (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Sawmill (approx. 21.8 kilometers away).
More about this marker. This marker is located on the grounds of the Oil Museum of Canada.
Also see . . .
1. Oil Springs, Ontario. Before the village was formed, the indigenous people already knew about the gum beds and used the sticky oil to waterproof their canoes. The place, originally called Black Creek, became the site of North America's first commercial oil well when asphalt producer James Miller Williams set out to dig a water well in 1858 and found free oil instead. (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
2. Oil Museum of Canada - Lambton County Museums (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.