Little Falls in Morrison County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Burton/Rosenmeier House
Built circa 1903
The Burton/Rosenmeier House is significant architecturally as the outstanding example of the Classical Revival style in Little Falls and for its associations with its first two inhabitants: The Barney Burton family and later the Rosenmeier family.
Barney Burton was the seventh of eight children born to Isaac and Sarah Burton, Polish immigrants, who settled in Peoria, Illinois, later migrating to Wisconsin. At the age of eighteen he moved to St. Cloud where he went into the clothing business with his brother, Jacob. In 1886 they moved to Little Falls seeking a better location. As the Little Falls community prospered during the "timber boom" years, so did Barney Burton who had dissolved the partnership as his brother moved on to other independent endeavors. He married Sara Deutsch, of Minneapolis, in 1894, and lost her through death at childbirth the following year. In 1898 Barney married a sister of Sara, Josephine Deutsch, a life-long relationship which bore three additional children. Barney Burton, prominent in Little Falls area business activities for more than 50 years, died of a heart attack in 1942. Josephine died in 1953 in Baltimore.
Christian Rosenmeier rose to prominence in the county following his graduation from the U of M Law School, as president of his class, in 1906. Initially
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1920, he resigned this post to become a vice-president of the American National Bank of Little Falls and the newly-established American Savings and Trust Company. The following year he became president of both operations. Christian and Linda purchased the Burton house in 1921. In 1922 he was elected to be the state senator for the area. At the time of his death in 1932, he was chairman of the Senate Rules Committee. His work in the senate included authoring legislation creating the C.A. Lindbergh State Park at Little Falls, and the National Guard Camp at Fort Ripley. His law practice in Little Falls brought him into an association with his neighbors, Charles A. Weyerhaeuser and Richard D. Musser, who jointly managed the Pine Tree Lumber Company and its related companies.
Christian's son, Gordon, followed in his father's footsteps. Graduating from Stanford University in 1932, and having been admitted to the bar in California, returned to Minnesota and went into his father's law office. In 1940, he was elected to the unexpired term of the late
National Register of Historic Places by
the U.S. Department of the Interior
Location. 45° 58.245′ N, 94° 21.877′ W. Marker is in Little Falls, Minnesota, in Morrison County. Marker is on 1st Street SE south of 5th Avenue SE, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 606 1st Street SE, Little Falls MN 56345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buckman Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); City Hall and Fire Department (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sands Cafe (approx. 0.3 miles away); W. Tonn Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Green Park (approx. Black and White Cafe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rhodes-Tanner Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sprandel Block (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Falls.
Also see . . . Burton-Rosenmeier House National Register Nomination. (Submitted on November 1, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.