Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gerolzhofen in Kreis Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Parish Church

Stadtpfarrkirche

 
 
Parish Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 29, 2014
1. Parish Church Marker
Inscription.
Um 800 n. Chr.: Vorgängerkirche aus Holz
Um 1000: romanischer dreischiffiger Bau
Um 1400: Baubeginn der gotischen Kirche
auf den Fundamenten des romanischen Baus
Um 1700: Barockisierung des Innenraums
1898-1902: Verläengerung des Kirchenschiffs

Geschichte für alle
historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V.
Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung

Marker text translated into English:
About 800 A.D.: A predecessor church is built of wood.
About 1000: Romanesque-style three-nave construction.
About 1400: Construction of a gothic church begins upon the foundations of the romanesque building.
About 1700: The interior is outfitted in baroque style.
1898-1902: Lengthening of the nave.

History for All - the Gerolzhofen Historical Society
Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation

 
Erected by The Gerolzhofen Historical Society and the Dr. Ottmar Wolf Cultural Foundation.
 
Location. 49° 54.062′ N, 10° 20.915′ E. Marker is in Gerolzhofen, Bavaria, in Kreis Schweinfurt. Marker is at the intersection of Marktstrasse and Marktplatz on Marktstrasse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gerolzhofen, Bavaria 97447, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Parish Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 28, 2014
2. Parish Church Marker
The marker, not quite visible here, is on the right front buttress of the building, just to the right of the people in the picture.
markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baroque Crucifixion Sculpture (here, next to this marker); Chapel of St. John (within shouting distance of this marker); Altes Rathaus / The Old City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Catholic Rectory (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Owl's Tower (about 90 meters away); The Watchmen's Tower (about 120 meters away); The Beadle’s Tower (about 150 meters away); Spital Gate (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerolzhofen.
 
Regarding Parish Church. The Catholic parish church of Saint Mary of the Rosary and Holy St. Regiswindis , also called the "Steigerwalddom", was constructed from 1436 to 1479…. - German Wikipedia article on Gerolzhofen, in translation.
 
Also see . . .  Article on restoration of stained glass. A short German-language article on the restoration of the Church's stained glass. (Submitted on November 3, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
View of the Church Across the Market Square. image. Click for full size.
circa 1930
3. View of the Church Across the Market Square.
View of the Church Across the Market Square today. image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 29, 2014
4. View of the Church Across the Market Square today.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 6, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2. submitted on November 11, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   3. submitted on November 3, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   4. submitted on November 7, 2014, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement