Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Temecula in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Heart o’ the Hills

 
 
Heart o' the Hills Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bell, February 12, 2011
1. Heart o' the Hills Marker
Inscription.
[Upper Marker]
Here, before his death
in 1927, Murray Schloss
collected 2500 acres
for a utopian community

E Clampus Vitus
Billy Holcomb Chapter
1973
[Lower Marker]
Re-Dedicated by
The Billy Holcomb Chapter,
E Clampus Vitus
In Co-operation with the
San Diego State University
Field Station Programs
and the
Santa Margarita Ecological Reserve
July 29, 2006

 
Erected 1973 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus, San Diego State University-Field Station Programs and the Santa Margarita Ecological Reserve. (Marker Number 128.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 33° 27.78′ N, 117° 10.253′ W. Marker is in Temecula, California, in Riverside County. Marker is at the intersection of Vía Tornado and Via Novillo, on the right when traveling north on Vía Tornado. Touch for map. The site is west of Temecula, near Murrieta Creek and the Santa Margarita River. Marker is in this post office area: Temecula CA 92590, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker
Heart o' the Hills Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Bell
2. Heart o' the Hills Marker
, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank (approx. 2.5 miles away); The Great Oak (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mission San Antonio de Pala (approx. 8.7 miles away); La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala (approx. 8.8 miles away); Santa Margarita Ranch (approx. 14.5 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This was the second and last aluminum plaque erected by the Billy Holcomb Chapter.
This plaque was originally placed approximately near the intersection of Camino Estribo and Via Gorrion in the foothills of the eastern Gavilan Mountains. It then went missing.
In 1988, Gabe Lopes XNGH-1975 and James McMullen XNGH-1979 searched the hillside for the plaque to no avail. The plaque had been placed above the north side of the Santa Margarita River, but became misplaced during the clearing of the land for the citrus groves.
In 1988, Gabe Lopes XNGH-1975 and James McMullen XNGH-1979 searched the hillside for the plaque to no avail. The marker had been erected above the north side of the Santa Margarita River, but became misplaced during the clearing of the land for the citrus groves.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
 
Regarding Heart o' the Hills. Murray Schloss, who had inherited money from his father, a clothing millionaire, had claimed to hear voices from the "Masters," who directed him to build the "Temple of the Dawn" in this "Heart of the Hills" region of Gavilan Mountain.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 709 times since then and 63 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 17, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement