Newberry-Baker in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Camp Rock Spring
No glory there, nor much chance for military fame, but true patriots and heroes were they, to submit to such privations--yet these are the nurseries of the army, and from such hard schools we graduated a Grant and Sherman, Sheridan and Thomas. General James. F. Rusling USA
Erected 1976 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Mojave Road (Old Government Road) marker series.
Location. 35° 9.197′ N, 115° 19.715′ W. Marker is in Newberry-Baker, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Canyon Road and New York Mountain Road, on the right when traveling east on Cedar Canyon Road. Touch for map. Marker is located approximately 1,500 feet southeast of this intersection on the south side of the hill. This dirt road can be very sandy and may require 4-wheel drive. Marker is in this post office area: Nipton CA 92364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nevada Southern Railway (was approx. The Mojave Road (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Regarding Camp Rock Spring. A detachment of soldiers was stationed at Rock Springs to protect travelers from marauding Indians. They were ordered to "...hunt themselves by their own labor with materials as may be found in the vicinity." Spartan conditions to say the least! As this camp was so far from the headquarters of Drum Barracks near Los Angeles, it often took four months to get replacement boots ordered and delivered to the soldiers here. It was not a good life in the desert at any time of year without footwear. SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Also see . . . Historic California Posts: Camp Rock Springs. An official Army post, Camp Rock Spring in the Mojave Desert, on the road from Camp Cady to Fort Mohave, Arizona, located near Kelso, San Bernardino County, was established on December 30, 1866. Post returns reveal that Lieutenant L H. Robinson, 14th Infantry, with Company E, commanded the post from March 16, 1867 until January 2, 1868, after which it was maintained until May 21, 1868, as a small, intermittently occupied outpost of Camp Cady. (Submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 575 times since then. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 22, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.