Johannesburg in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1978 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 35° 21.29′ N, 117° 37.08′ W. Marker is in Johannesburg, California, in Kern County. Marker is on Three Flags Highway (U.S. 395) north of Red Moutain Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Red Mountain is about 25 miles north of Kramer Junction, also known as Four Corners or Beecher's Corners. This junction of SR-58 and U.S. 395 is about 70 miles north of San Bernardino. The Plaque is mounted above the door of the Silver Dollar Cafe, also known as the Silver Dollar Saloon. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60529 Three Flags Highway/U.S. 395, Johannesburg CA 93528, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Owl Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Baltic Mine Project Historic Randsburg (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Commerical Hotel (approx. 2.3 miles away); Rand Mining District (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Joint (approx. 2.3 miles away); Randsburg Drug Store (approx. 2.3 miles away); D.T. Jones - Dry Goods (approx. 2.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The Kelly Mine started production in 1919. Other discoveries were made and Osdick, Hampton, In City also known as Out City and Sin City popped up. A post office was established on February 14, 1922 at Osdick. In the fall of 1929 the post office name was changed to Red Mountain and Hampton, Osdick and others lost their identities. A Santa Fe Railroad line was built from Kramer to Red Mountain to bring in the heavy machinery for the miners. Parts of the old railroad berm remain and can be seen from U.S. 395.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 6, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.