Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waynesboro in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Waynesborough

 
 
Waynesborough Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 2008
1. Waynesborough Marker
Inscription. On July 31, 1783, an Act was passed by the General Assembly meeting in Augusta to lay out a town, Waynesborough, on reserved or private land. Commissioners named (Thomas Lewis, Sr., Thomas Lewis, Jr., John Duhart, Edward Telfair, John Jones) were instructed to sell lots on John Thomas' land on the waters of McIntosh Creek, where the Battle of Burke's Jail was fought.

"By virtue of an Act of July 31, 1783," an indenture was made on June 9, 1799 between Commissioners Isaac Perry, Alexander Carter, William Wynne, John Whitehead, John Mitchell, Thomas Yarborough, and John Davis, to sell lots on the present site. Named for General Anthony Wayne, Waynesboro was incorporated December 10, 1812. Samuel Moore bought the first one acre lot bounded by Shadrick, Robinson and Barron Streets.

The "Munnerlyn House," built by Alexander Carter, was, by tradition, the oldest house in Waynesboro. On May 17, 1791, in his "Journal," George Washington wrote that he went 6 miles out of his way to spend the night there. President Woodrow Wilson, as a boy, was a visitor in this famous house on Liberty Street. In 1910 President William H. Taft visited Waynesboro.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 017-10.)
 
Marker series.
Waynesborough Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 2008
2. Waynesborough Marker
This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here, and the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 5.413′ N, 82° 0.943′ W. Marker is in Waynesboro, Georgia, in Burke County. Marker is at the intersection of E. 6th Street and N. Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west on E. 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is near the courthouse in Waynesboro. Marker is in this post office area: Waynesboro GA 30830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington’s Southern Tour (a few steps from this marker); Burke County Veteran's Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Burke County (a few steps from this marker); Burke County's 8 Governors (within shouting distance of this marker); Lost Burke County Men S.S. Otranto (within shouting distance of this marker); To Honor George Washington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The J.D. Roberts Home (about 400 feet away); Shell Bluff (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waynesboro.
 
Regarding Waynesborough. Known as the "Bird Dog Capital of the World," Waynesboro was named for General Anthony "Mad Anthony" Wayne, a famous Revolutionary soldier.
 
Also see . . .  General Anthony Wayne. (Submitted on May 24, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Additional keywords. Washington's Southern Tour
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,681 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement