Highland in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Village Of Highland Station
In 1880 John B. Crouse and Henry A. Tremaine built the Highland Pickle Works on Livingston Road just east of the tracks, while in 1881 Mary Ann Needham began making pickles at her home at the north end of town. Her business became the Domestic Pickle Works, later owned by her son Charles E. Needham. Another son, William Needham, Jr. started producing his own “U-Need-Um” brand pickles in the early 1910’s. While the Highland Pickle Works burned in 1896, the Needham family made pickles until the 1960’s.
In 1882 Crouse platted an addition southwest of the original village. McPherson and Clark streets were named for Highland pioneer families. King Street honored Thomas F. King, manager of the Highland Pickle Works, while John Street was named for Crouse and his son.
By 1900 Highland Station had a township hall, depot, elevator, stockyard, pickle works, woodworking mill, hotels, stores, churches and a school. Construction of M-59 in 1936 bypassed the village to the north, sparing the original downtown. The post office was renamed simply Highland in 1903, but Highland Station is still used to refer to the historic portion of the village.
Erected 2014 by Highland Township Historical Society.
Location. 42° 38.285′ N, 83° 37.172′ W. Marker is in Highland, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of West Livingston Road and North John Street, on the left when traveling east on West Livingston Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 West Livingston Road, Highland, Michigan 48357, Highland MI 48357, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pettibone Creek Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Haven Hill Getaway (approx. 2.9 miles away); Edsel Ford's Leadership (approx. 2.9 miles away); Haven Hill Lodge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Haven Hill Carriage House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Haven Hill Farm (approx. 3.3 miles away); Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery (approx. 3½ miles away); Wells Brothers Foundry (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by Eugene H Beach Jr of Highland, Michigan. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 7, 2014, by Eugene H Beach Jr of Highland, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.