Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albertville in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

A Celebration of 150 Years

 
 
A Celebration of 150 Years Marker, side 1 image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 5, 2014
1. A Celebration of 150 Years Marker, side 1
Inscription.
(side 1)
Albertville, located in Marshall County in northeast Alabama, was named for Thomas A. Albert, one of the first area residents. It lies on Sand Mountain, a plateau approximately 25 miles wide and 75 miles long. Albertville was hunting ground for the Indians until the early 1800s. Migration to this region began in 1844 and continued steadily until the advent of the Civil War. In 1872, another migration into the area began due to word of its rich soil and bountiful forest. Albertville was first settled around 1850. The first post office was established on January 13, 1860. On February 18, 1891, Albertville was officially incorporated as a city. One of the worst tornadoes in Alabama’s history destroyed Albertville in 1908, but the town was rebuilt. An electric system was quickly built and the city water system was inaugurated in 1909. The first hospital was built in 1917.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
The origins of present-day Albertville can be traced to 308 West Main Street. In 1856, the community became known as Jones Chapel, named for Vincent Jones, an early settler who arrived in the area prior to 1830. In 1856, what is now present-day First United Methodist Church was organized on this site. In 1895,
A Celebration of 150 Years Marker, side 2 image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 5, 2014
2. A Celebration of 150 Years Marker, side 2
the church relocated to its present site on Madison Avenue and their former church building was purchased by the Primitive Baptist Church. In 1883, what is now First Baptist Church was organized across the street on the western side of the Old City Cemetery. In 1900, that church relocated to its present-day East Main Street location. The first school, where the first sessions of the Seventh District Agricultural School were held, was built adjoining the Methodist Church. In 2008, the City of Albertville designated Little Branch Church as a future museum and cultural center.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Albertville.
 
Location. 34° 16.184′ N, 86° 12.961′ W. Marker is in Albertville, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is on West Main Street (Alabama Route 205) west of Lombardy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the former Little Branch Primitive Baptist Church building. Marker is in this post office area: Albertville AL 35950, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pre-Civil War Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Seventh District Agricultural School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial
A Celebration of 150 Years Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 5, 2014
3. A Celebration of 150 Years Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Birthplace of Albertville (approx. 0.8 miles away); City of Boaz (approx. 5.7 miles away); Ravine Used For Protection Against Yankee Shelling (approx. 7.5 miles away); Section of Core (approx. 7.6 miles away); Events in Marshall County (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albertville.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement