Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Thomas Edison had happy childhood memories of the time he spent here with his grandparents.
Thomas Edisonís great-grandparents fled to Canada after the American Revolution because they sided with the British. His grandparents started a farm and built this home there. As a boy, Edison visited the farm, where he played in the barn, went swimming and fished in a nearby river.
Built about 1815 in Vienna, Ontario, Canada. Additions made about 1860.
Erected by The Henry Ford.
Location. 42° 18.263′ N, 83° 13.446′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Maple Lane near Burbank Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Noah Webster Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Edisonís Menlo Park Office and Library (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Daggett Farmhouse Sir John Bennett Jewelry Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wright Cycle Shop (approx. ľ mile away); Armington & Sims Machine Shop (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hanks Silk Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smith Creek Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
More about this marker. This marker and the building it identifies are found in Greenfield Village, a outdoor historical museum/park, located at 20900 Oakwood Boulevard in Dearborn, Michigan. The road names use on this page are those found inside Greenfield Village and are for pedestrians use only (except for the occasional Model T running around).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.