Texhoma in Texas County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Texas 1901 – 2001 Oklahoma
After 1910, many small frame downtown buildings were being replaced by brick structures. A brick school on the Oklahoma side was built in 1909, and one on the Texas side by 1913. The first Texhoma class graduated from Texhoma High School in 1913.
Town services grew rapidly. A telephone company was established in 1907; a public water system in 1913; an electric plant in 1921; downtown brick paving in 1928; gas service and a sewer system in 1929.
After the hard years of The Depression-Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and World War II in the 1940s, much additional
Gas booms in the 1940s, agricultural irrigation in the 1950s, and finally the swine industry in the 1990s have contributed to the economic stability of the town.
A pride of Texhoma has always been its public school system. The football team won state in 1971; the girls basketball team in 1992; the boys basketball team in 1994; the girls track team in 1996. Many other teams qualified for state tournaments over the years. Through an act of the legislature of both states, the two school systems were combined in 1976, but maintain separate school boards with excellent co-operation. The schools have graduated many outstanding students who have made their mark in life. Out town is proud of the many useful citizens we have sent out into the world on this, our 100th Anniversary.
Location. 36° 30.3′ N, 101° 47.007′ W. Marker is in Texhoma, Oklahoma, in Texas County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Texhoma OK 73949, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Post Office of Loretta (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.