St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
La Tour Cabot
The Cabot Tower’s cornerstone was laid on 23 June 1897 to mark the 400th anniversary of John Cabot’s North American Landfall and the 60th year of Queen Victoria’s reign. The building was completed in 1900, financed in part by private donations. / Le 23 juin 1897, on a posé la pierre angulaire de la Tour Cabot. L’édifice, financé en partie par des dons de particuliers, commémore le 400ᵉ anniversaire du débarquement de John Cabot en Amérique du Nord et la 60ᵉ année du règne de la reine Victoria. Il fut achevé en 1900.
Architect W.H. Greene’s plans for Cabot Tower included an observatory which, for reasons unknown, was not built. / Les plans de la Tour Cabot, tels que dessinés par l’architecte W.H. Greene, comprenaient un observatoire qui ne fut pas construit pour des raisons inconnues.
Robert W. Gardner, signalman from 1923 until his death in 1946. The Tower remained an active signal station until 1958. / Robert W. Gardner, préposé aux signaux de 1923 jusqu’à sa mort en 1946. La tour sert de station de signalisation jusqu’en 1958.
A signal blockhouse occupied this spot from 1859 until it was destroyed by fire in 1894. It was replace by a “temporary” building which remained in service until the construction
Location. 47° 34.203′ N, 52° 40.917′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker can be reached from Signal Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1A, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Signal Hill (here, next to this marker); Peacetime Use (a few steps from this marker); Noon Day Gun (a few steps from this marker); Fishery (a few steps from this marker); Swiling (a few steps from this marker); Ice (within shouting distance of this marker); 1892: The Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Transatlantic Radio Signals (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
More about this marker. This marker is next to Cabot Tower in Signal Hill National Historic Site.
Also see . . . Cabot Tower - Wikipedia. The building was used primarily for flag signalling. The British military first used (Submitted on November 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 305 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 17, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.