St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
St. John’s Court House
Le Palais de justice de St. John’s
The St. John’s Court House, built 1900-1094, is by far the most striking and elaborate courthouse in the province. Set into a steep hill it commands a dramatic view of the harbour. The Romanesque Revival building was designed by W.T. Whiteway and constructed of local sandstone and granite. The site, scale and design all give an impression of solidity and power, considered appropriate for its legal and other functions. The building has housed the supreme court, jail, police court, law library, judges’ offices and Colonial Secretary’s office. For a time the legislature also met here.
Erigé de 1900 à 1904 sur le flanc d’une colline abrupte qui domine le port, le Palais de justice de St. John’s est de loin le plus remarquable de la province. Conçu par W.T. Whiteway, ce édifice néo-roman est construit de grès local avec des détails de granit. Son emplacement sa taille imposante et son style recherché donnent un impression de solidité et de puissance appropriées à sa vocation. Il a abrité la Cour suprême, une prison, le tribunal de police, la bibliothèque juridique, les bureaux des juges et celui du Secrétaire de la Colonie. Le Parlement y a aussi siégé un certain temps.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et
Location. 47° 33.83′ N, 52° 42.447′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Water Street just from McMurdo's Lane, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 194 Water Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Carson (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (about 180 meters away); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (about 210 meters away); Masonic Temple (about 210 meters away); Former Bank of British North America (about 240 meters away); Bank of British North America (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Thompson Building (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.