St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
Former Newfoundland Railway Headquarters
L’ancien siège social du chemin de fer de Terre-Neuve
This remarkable building served as the headquarters and terminus of the Newfoundland railway system. Begun in 1881, the railway played a significant role in the development of the island. Its benefits were evident by the eve of World War 1, as new interior towns were established to exploit rich timber and mineral resources. The railway line, achieved at high cost to the colonial treasury, dominated Newfoundland politics for decades. Completed in 1903, this building combines elements of the Second Empire and Château styles in the massing of the pavilions and the design of the gables.
Cet attrayant bâtiment abritait autrefois le siège social et le terminus du réseau ferroviaire de Terre-Neuve. Celui-ci, dont la construction débuta en 1881, joua un rôle important dans le développement de l’île. À la veille de la Premiere Guerre mondiale, il favorisa l’établissement de nouvelles villes pour l’exploitation des richesses forestières et minières de l’intérieur. Mais le coût élevé de sa construction domina la scene politique terre-neuvienne pendant plusieurs décennies. Le pavillons et les gables de ce bâtiment, achevé en 1903, réunissent des éléments de styles Second Empire et Château.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission
Location. 47° 33.265′ N, 52° 42.826′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Water Street just from Job Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 495 Water Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1E, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir Robert Gillespie Reid (a few steps from this marker); Herbert J. Russell, C.B.E. (within shouting distance of this marker); Thompson Building (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); St. John’s Court House (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); William Carson (approx. 1.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Also see . . .
1. Railway - Newfoundland Heritage. The Newfoundland railway operated for a little over a century. From 1882-97 the trains ran over completed portions of a projected trans-insular line. The first passenger train across the island ran in June 1898. Regular passenger service ceased in July 1969, and the last (Submitted on November 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
2. Railway Coastal Museum - Wikipedia. The building was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1988 for its role in commemorating the important role played by the Newfoundland Railway in the social, economic and political history of the province It was also designated a Heritage Railway Station in 1990. (Submitted on November 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5. submitted on November 29, 2014. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.