Closter in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Closter Public School
In 1899 the schoolhouse property was bought from the Bloomer family. The following year a two story, square plan, Renaissance Revival style building was completed with 3 classrooms and an assembly room for grades K-8. In 1907, 4 classrooms were added to the south side, and in 1912, 6 classrooms were added to the north side, expanding the school to K-12. In 1921 the south end was again enlarged, and from 1929 to 1955 it was solely the Closter Jr/Sr High School, 7-12. From 1955 to 1996 it was the Village School, grade’s 6-8.
Erected 1999 by Bergen County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 58.297′ N, 73° 57.773′ W. Marker is in Closter, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Durie Avenue and High Street, on the right when traveling south on Durie Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Closter NJ 07624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reformed Church of Closter (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hilderbrant Naugle House Walter Parcells Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Closter Horseman (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sautes Tave’s Begraven Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away); Douwe Talema (approx. 0.8 miles away); Demarest Railroad Station (approx. one mile away); Daniel De Clark House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Closter.
Also see . . .
1. Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Closter Alumni and Friends of the Schools. (Submitted on April 2, 2012, by Robert R. Rothmann of Tenafly, New Jersey.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,633 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.