Dawson Springs in Hopkins County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
In its heyday, from the start of the century until mid-1920ís, this was one of the best known spas, health resorts in the South. Thousands of the sick, the lame, and the well came for the curative waters and to enjoy the social activities. Six firms bottled and shipped the chalybeate water all over the US. W. I. Hamby, resident of Hopkins County, discovered springs, 1881.
Erected 1966 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 915.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 10.064′ N, 87° 41.529′ W. Marker is in Dawson Springs, Kentucky, in Hopkins County. Marker is on U.S. 62 0.1 miles east of South Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located within the town center plaza bordered by Veterans Street, Arcadia Avenue, Main Street and Railroad Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson Springs KY 42408, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. County Named, 1809 (approx. 11.2 miles away); Courthouse Burned (approx. 11.2 miles away); Black Patch War Century of Coal Mining (approx. 12.3 miles away); Army of Six (approx. 15.2 miles away); Carlow's Stone Wall (approx. 15.2 miles away); Gov. Ruby Laffoon (approx. 15.3 miles away); The Hockersmith House (approx. 15.3 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is somewhat weathered but still legible.
Also see . . .
1. Dawson Springs Early History.
Thus came into being Dawsonís first mineral “spring,” the famous Chalybeate Well No. 1, on June 7, 1893. Later, while boring for water for a hotel he had built, Mr. Hamby again accidentally struck an inexhaustible stream of water. The famous well became known as Hambyís Salts, Iron and Lithia Well. The discoveries of these two wells would change the course of history for the city. (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Dawson Springs, Kentucky.
Originally known as Tradewater Bend, the city was incorporated in 1832 under the name Dawson City by two Menser brothers. From the late 1800s to the 1930s, Dawson Springs was well known as a spa and resort town. It is still popular as a tourist destination because of the Pennyrile Forest (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. 61st Governor of Kentucky.
Steve Beshear, 61st Governor of Kentucky since 2007, was born in Hopkins County, Kentucky on September 21, 1944. He was raised in the small town of Dawson Springs, where his father owned a furniture store, operated a funeral home, and served as mayor. Beshear served in the Kentucky House of Representatives from 1974 to 1979, was the state's Attorney General from 1980 to 1983, and was the 49th Lieutenant Governor from 1983 to 1987. He is not eligible to run for re-election again in 2015 due to term limits established by the Kentucky Constitution. (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Dawson Springs History.
The town of Dawson took its name from the family that purchased the 250-acre tract of land in 1869. The discovery of natural springs in the area in 1881 and 1893 led to the substantial growth of the village and lent the name Dawson Springs to the small town. As the reputation of the springs and their beneficial minerals spread, Dawson Springs became a flourishing resort town. People came from all parts of the world to partake of the mineral waters and enjoy Dawson Springs' 40 hotels. (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.