The Hill of Glory
Cerro de la Gloria
It was originally known as "Cerro del Pilar." By order of the provincial government, in 1913 it changed its name; and different jobs started to build the sculpture. The place was chosen by the author himself, the Uruguayan sculptor Juan Manuel Ferrari, who sought a hill overlooking the mountains to enhance the symbol of the epic as a cusp. For the erection of the monument, he was suggested by different important figures, as expert Francisco P. Moreno, member of the National Commission appointed to complete the work.
Erected by Mendoza, Argentina.
Location. 32° 53.318′ S, 68° 53.475′ W. Marker is in Mendoza, Mendoza. Marker is on Bajada del Cierro. Touch for map. The markers and monument are located on a hilltop in General San Martin Park. Marker is in this post office area: Mendoza M5500, Argentina.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monument to Hispanic-Argentine Brotherhood (approx. 4.6 kilometers away).
Regarding The Hill of Glory.
Also see . . . Army of the Andes. The Army of the Andes, led by José de San Martín, crossed the Andes in 1817 to successfully free Chile from Spanish rule. Its staging point was Mendoza, Argentina. (Submitted on December 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.