Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Peabody Institute and George Peabody Library
The Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore architect Edmund G. Lind designed the main building of the conservatory, which was completed in 1866. The library collection grew so quickly that a new building was constructed in 1878. Lind also designed the library, joining it so masterfully with the conservatory that the building's Italianate Renaissance Revival exterior appears to have been constructed all at once. Both the Institute and the library are now divisions of the Johns Hopkins University.
Under the direction of well-known musicians, composers, conductors, and Peabody alumni, the Institute grew from a local academy into an internationally renowned cultural center throughout the late 19th and 20th centuries. Today, the Peabody trains many of the nation's classical musicians.
Through its constituent divisions, the degree-granting Conservatory music school, and the community-based Preparatory music and dance school, the Institute trains musicians and dancers of every age and at every level, from small children to seasoned professionals, from dedicated
George Peabody Library
Renowned for its magnificent interior, the library features an atrium surrounded by five tiers of ornamental cast-iron balconies and gold-scalloped columns rising more than 60 feet to a latticed skylight. Nathaniel H. Morison, first provost of the Institute, described the elegant library as a "cathedral of books." The ironwork was created by Baltimore's Bartlett, Robbins & Company.
Now one of the Johns Hopkins' Sheridan Libraries, it serves the university's academic programs worldwide. The 300,000 volume Victorian research collection includes books dating from the 15th century, with particular strength in the 19th century. Both the library and the exhibition galelry are open to the public.
Erected 2008 by the City of Baltimore, Shiela Dixon, Mayor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.839′ N, 76° 36.889′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Mount Vernon Place, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Peabody Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peabody Conservatory (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Contributing to Society (within shouting distance of this marker); A Monumental Mistake (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating Culture (within shouting distance of this marker); To George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Lafayette Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.