Exley in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1820, the methodist Church was organized at Goshen, under the direction of the Rev. James O. Andrew, and was allowed to use the Goshen church edifice. The actual deed to the property was transferred to the Methodist Conference several years later. Among the first members of the Goshen Methodist Church were: David Gougle and his daughters; Mrs. Nowlan, wife of Major Nowlan; Major and Mrs. John Charlton.
The Rev. Lewis Myers moved to Goshen about 1823, and served the Methodist Church here for many years.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 15.034′ N, 81° 12.737′ W. Marker is in Exley, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 21 and Goshen Road, in the median on State Highway 21. Touch for map. The marker is about one mile north of Chatham-Effingham county
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Houston Baptist (approx. 1.7 miles away); Historic Ship Anchor (approx. 3.2 miles away); Richmond Baptist Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Mulberry Grove Plantation (approx. 5 miles away); Washington's Southern Tour (approx. 5 miles away); Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Purrysburg Township (approx. 6.6 miles away in South Carolina); Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Also see . . . The Salzburgers and Their Descendants. A book by Philip A. Strobel, written in 1855, may have been the source for the information on this marker. (Submitted on May 27, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,234 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.