Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 1, 1858
Organized September 12, 1874
Named in Honor of
Dr. Jack Shackelford
Captain of the “Red Rovers”,
a company from Alabama which
became a unit of Fanninís Command
one of the few spared by the
Mexicans in the
Massacre at Goliad
Albany, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 4647.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 43.019′ N, 99° 18.074′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 180 and U.S. 283. Touch for map. Marker is located near the center of Spudder Park. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cook Ranch Oil Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Edward Nail, Jr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jackson Warehouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); White Elephant Saloon Hartfield Building (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Shackelford County (approx. half a mile away); The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief (approx. half a mile away); First Producing Oil Well in West Texas (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . .
1. Shackelford County. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on December 31, 2014.)
2. Jack Shackelford. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on December 31, 2014.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 31, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.