Near Douglas in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The One Mile Hog Ranch
The military post was soon abandoned and the Hog Ranch was acquired by new owners John Lawrance and John (Jack) Saunders. In 1884 the operation was moved across the river and the new “hog ranch” was opened in one of the abandoned military buildings. Billy Bacon bought out Lawrance’s interest in late 188 and went into partnership with Saunders.
From the beginning, violence marred the Hog Ranch. Hot disputes and bigger arguments erupted frequently, with many decided by the barrel of a gun. Outlaws and freighters, visited the establishment where whiskey flowed freely, and cowboys from ranches within a one mile radius came to Fetterman to drink, gamble and revel in their spare time. The One Mile Hog Ranch became known for several
The infamous One Mile Hog Ranch at Fetterman was finally closed by the authorities on December 8, 1885 when the partners got into an argument and mortally wounded one another.
Erected by Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming.
Location. 42° 51.548′ N, 105° 29.806′ W. Marker is near Douglas, Wyoming, in Converse County. Marker is on State Highway 93 near Tank Farm Road, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas WY 82633, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hog Ranch (approx. one mile away); Water Supply (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bozeman Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Fetterman (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Oregon Trail (approx. 6.5 miles away); Bill Hooker (approx. 6.5 miles away); Ayres Natural Bridge Park (approx. 7.5 miles away); Sharp, Franklin and Taylor, (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
More about this marker. This marker is about 6 miles north of Douglas, WY, north of the North Platte River.
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.