Charlottetown in Queens County, Prince Edward Island — The Canadian Atlantic
Railway Brass Shop
Atelier de cuivre du chemin de fer
Built in 1876, this Island sandstone building was originally the office of the mechanical branch of the Prince Edward Island Railway. Later, it became the brass shop where brass parts required by the railway were fabricated. The large windows at the east end of the building were originally doors which allowed narrow gauge cars to enter the building for maintenance and repair. A disastrous 1905 fire destroyed a number of buildings in the rail yard and damaged this one. Renovated after the blaze, the current building is approximately half the size of the original structure. In later years it served as officies for the railway locomotive foreman and supervisors.
Érigé en 1876, ce bâtiment en grès de l’Île était le bureau de service de la mécanique du chemin de fer l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard. Ensuite, il abrita un atelier du cuivre ou l’on fabriquait les pièces en cuivre utilisées par le chemin de fer. Les grandes fenêtres du côté est du bâtiment étaient à l’origine des portes par lesquelles entraient les wagons pour voie étroite qui nécessitaient des travaux d’entretien ou de réparation. En 1905, l’immeuble fut endommagé dans l’incendie qui se déclara dans le dépôt de la gare en détruisit un certain nombre d’autres bâtiments. Rénové après l’incendie, l’immeuble actuel n’a que la moitié
Location. 46° 14.056′ N, 63° 7.236′ W. Marker is in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in Queens County. Marker can be reached from Water Street just from Hillsborough Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 178 Water Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 0C4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hillsborough Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Threaded Together with Iron and Steel (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Railway Car Shop (about 90 meters away); The Hillsborough River (about 150 meters away); Great George Street Historic District (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Heralded Arrival… of the Circus (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Gainsford House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Survey of the Gulf and River St. Lawrence (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottetown.
Also see . . . CN Brass Shop - CADC. The CN Brass Shop was originally constructed in 1876 and is amongst the oldest buildings in Charlottetown. This project was completed during a period of extensive waterfront development that saw Peakes Wharf, Confederation Landing Park, the CN Brass Shop and the CN passenger station all redeveloped. (Submitted on January 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.