Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
Port Deposit was spared, perhaps due to its well-defended battery. Or, as legend claims, enemy raiders heard that the defenders could “shoot an eye out of a crow upon the wing.”
Exploit and Explore
Rear Admiral George Cockburn led a British squadron to the head of the Bay in 1813 to harass coastal towns and destroy American supplies. They also charted local waters, gathering information to use when they returned the following year.
“I detached a small division of Boats up the Susquehanna to take and destroy whatever they might meet with in it.”
British Rear Admiral George Cockburn to Admiral John B. Warren, May 3, 1813.
(Inscription beside the image on the left)
A gun battery at Port Deposit, visible from the water, may have deterred British raiders from attacking the town.
(Inscription under the image on the bottom right)
Cockburn (foreground) in 1814 depiction of British raid on Havre de Grace-Image courtesy of Maryland Historical Society.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 36.276′ N, 76° 6.918′ W. Marker is in Port Deposit, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on S. Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is next to the side wall of the U.S. Post Office in Port Deposit. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 South Main Street, Port Deposit MD 21904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gerry House (within shouting distance of this marker); John A. J. Creswell (within shouting distance of this marker); Snow's Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Snow’s Battery (about 300 feet away); Adams Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bainbridge Naval Training Center (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Deposit.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.