Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
After capturing a gun battery at Frenchtown, British raiders destroyed its storehouses, a fishery, and military supplies. However, spirited firing from forts Defiance and Frederick located near here halted the enemy’s advance.
A strong chain stretched across the river to deter enemy vessels. The far end was firmly fastened to a post on the opposite shore. A windlass at Fort Frederick could raise the chain when needed to block passage.
“On the 29th day of April, 1813,…a considerable British force distributed into thirteen barges, commenced a hostile attack on a landing called Frenchtown…”
—Annapolis Maryland Republican, November 20, 1813.
(Inscription above the image in the center)
This 1806 watercolor by Benjamin Latrobe depicts Frenchtown, looking up the Elk River from the wharf where Americans established a gun battery in 1813.
(Inscription above the image on the right)
A conjectural view of the forts and defensive chain that protected Elkton.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 34.896′ N, 75° 51.114′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on River Bend Parkway. Touch for map. The marker is located in Elk River Park. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton MD 21921, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Defiance (approx. 0.8 miles away); Strong Defense (approx. 1.2 miles away); Henry Delbert and E. Delbert Bros. Barge Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Valentine Hollingsworth (1632-1710) (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hollingsworth House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Fort Hollingsworth (approx. 1.4 miles away); Frenchtown (approx. 1.7 miles away); Holly Hall (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkton.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.