Black River Falls in Jackson County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lunda Construction Co.
Historic Jackson County
In the late 1920's Sam Swensen, uncle of Cliff Nelson & Milt Lunda, started the construction co. in Mt. Horeb, WI. It was relocated in 1938 to its present location in Brockway, WI. In the mid 1940's the company was named Nelson Construction Co. after its principal owner, Cliff Nelson. Cliff's cousin, Milt Lunda the present chairman of the board, joined the company in 1953 and in 1966 became the president and largest shareholder. At this time the company was re-named Lunda Construction Company. In 1977 with the acquisition of Phoenix Steel Co. of Eau Claire, employment peaked to 1100 people. Paul Gehl was pres. from 1988-1994, then Larry Lunda, Milt's son who is president today. The company has grown to be one of the largest bridge building companies in the Midwest. It has six locations in Minnesota & Wisconsin.
We are proud of "Lunda Construction Co." & it's long history.
Location. 44° 17.721′ N, 90° 50.834′ W. Marker is in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, in Jackson County. Marker is on North Water Street (U.S. 12) north of Main Street (State Highway 54), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hoffman Construction Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Moe Hardware (within shouting distance of this marker); Pfaffsprairie Farm (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the First Wood-Spaulding Saw Mill (about 600 feet away); Field of Honor (about 800 feet away); Hagen's A&W (about 800 feet away); Cpl. Mitchell RedCloud Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arnold Jacobson Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Black River Falls.
More about this marker. captions, left to right:
Top left: Sixth St. Viaduct Bridge Milwaukee, WI.
Lower left: Wabasha St. Bridge St. Paul, MN.
Top right: Milwaukee Art Museum Bridge Milwaukee, WI.
Bottom right: Cass St. Bridge La Crosse, WI.
Middle: Hatfield, WI.
The marker was painted in 2004 by local artist Susan Sampson.
Regarding Lunda Construction Co.. Tutor Perini Corporation, based in Sylmar, California, acquired Lunda Construction Company in 2011.
Also see . . .
1. California construction firm buys Lunda Construction. 2011 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article. (Submitted on January 23, 2015.)
2. Tutor Perini. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on January 23, 2015.)
3. Tutor Perini Corporation. (Submitted on January 23, 2015.)
1. Cable-stayed bridge
A cable-stayed bridge is supported by cables that extend out from pylons and connect to the bridge deck. The Sixth Street Viaduct in Milwaukee is Wisconsin's first cable-stayed bridge for vehicular traffic. The same concept supports the bridge from the O'Donnell Park parking garage to the Milwaukee Art Museum. Both of these bridges are shown on the marker.
— Submitted January 23, 2015.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2015, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2015, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.