Taneytown in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes
Taneytown's industry continued to grow during the 1920S and 1930S with several new factories. The Blue Ridge Rubber Plant opened in 1936, but a fire destroyed it in 1942. The plant was rebuilt and renamed the Cambridge Rubber Company. This successful business was best known for its rubber-soled shoes.
“Taneytown does a large business in grain, hay, coal, lumber, phosphates &c. Besides the stores generally kept in villages of its size, it has three cigar factories, a carriage maker shop, two warehouses and a steam flour mill …” — Dr. Clotworthy Birnie, The Carroll Record, 1894
Erected by The Maryland State Highway Administration.
Location. 39° 39.472′ N, 77° 10.463′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. In front of the New Police Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 East Baltimore Street, Taneytown MD 21787, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Painting the Town Red (here, next to this marker); Zile's Ice Cream (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Heart of Our Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adam Good Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Extra! Extra! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Everyone is Welcome (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Steps of the Sisters" (approx. ¼ mile away); 1st Lieutenant John E. Buffington (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taneytown.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 31, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.