Haleyville in Winston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
City of Haleyville, Alabama
The Cherokee Indians were here first. They lived under the bluffs, near an area called the “division of the waters.” Richard McMahan established the first permanent settlement here in1820. John Byler completed the first major road through Haleyville, from the Tennessee Valley to Tuscaloosa, in 1821. Jacob Pruitt built a two-story inn/tavern on Byler Road in 1825. In 1883, William “Bucky” Davis owned 40 acres in Davis Cross Roads. When the Northern Alabama Railroad passed through the town in 1887, it became Davis Crossing. Reportedly, in exchange for a suit of clothes from Charles and Walker Haley’s Store, Bucky Davis allowed the name to be changed to Haleyville. It was incorporated as such on February 28, 1889. The Illinois Central railroad connected to the Southern Railroad here in 1907. Railroading breathed life into this small community, boosting it to become a town. The Cotton Mill built in 1928 was the first major industry. It later became Haleyville Textile. Formed Tubes, makers of auto exhausts, came in the 1960’s.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Haleyville.
Location. 34° 13.578′ N, 87° 37.336′ W. Marker is in Haleyville, Alabama, in Winston County. Marker is at the intersection of 20th Street and 10th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 20th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haleyville AL 35565, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Honorable Frank Minis Johnson, Jr. (here, next to this marker); Factory Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, Korean •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 31, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.