Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
“A small body of our men reached Worton Creek…in time...to save much devastation in that quarter, they attacked the advanced barge of four…and forced the whole of them to leave the creek.”
Baltimore Federal Gazette, July 15, 1814.
This was the enemy’s second intrusion on Worton Creek. In April 1813, during a surge of British attacks on the Eastern Shore, a sizable force anchored off Worton Creek and conducted raids here and at nearby Plum Point, Still Pond, and Howell Point.
(Inscription next to the image on the left)
The barges in Worton Creek came from Loire, which a month earlier engaged the Chesapeake Flotilla in the Patuxent. British Loire by Irwin John Bevan-image Mariners Museum Newport News, VA.
(Inscription next to the image on the right)
In raids along the Eastern seaboard and the Chesapeake Bay, the British used barges to maneuver into coastal towns. Sneak Attack on Essex Shipping by Kipp Solwedell.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 39° 16.482′ N, 76° 10.098′ W. Marker is in Chestertown, Maryland, in Kent County. Marker is on Burditt Road. Touch for map. The marker is affixed to the outside wall of the Marine and Grocery Store at Worton Creek Marina. Marker is in this post office area: Chestertown MD 21620, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. African American Schoolhouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bass Propagation Lake (approx. 3 miles away); Taking Command (approx. 4.2 miles away); Christ Episcopal IU Church and Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Caulk’s Field Monument (approx. 5 miles away); Rude Awakening (approx. 5.1 miles away); Battle of Caulk’s Field (approx. 5.1 miles away); Tolchester Beach Amusement Park (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 3, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.