Springville in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway
—Godard Town Hall —
Godard Hall front elevation, early 1900's.
The original Greek revival portico and columns were removed along with the balustrade. The fixed windows on the first floor were replaced and a pediment was added to distinguish the center structure. This created a building facade with a colonial revival influenced style. Basement office space was added to make the building suitable for municipal purposes. Today, Godard Hall houses various town offices, including that of the town supervisor, assessor, clerk, and justices. This beautiful old building hosts many public meetings, and several service and public benefit organizations avail themselves of its facilities.
Soldiers Monument and Godard Memorial Hall, circa 1903.
Setting: Godard Memorial Hall is located in the middle of the Village of Springville's historic district. The building faces two historic
The adjacent parking lot west of the building is shared with the Springville Center for the Arts, which now occupies the century old First Baptist Church. A few steps from the Godard Hall property, at its southwest corner, is the Lucy Bensley Center. The Center was built in 1897 as a home for the Universalist Church. This beautiful old structure has been owned by the Town of Concord since 1928, and is now utilized by the Concord Historical Society as a genealogy library.
Physical Features: The foundation of the building consists of rough hewn fieldstone that originally projected above grade by three feet. Exterior walls are constructed of brick masonry. The main entrance consists of a concrete walkway. A ramp and metal railings have been added over time for equal accessibility. A metal fire escape is attached to the west side of the building to provide emergency egress. Of significance is that the building contains the house's original stage on the main floor. What was once the balcony is still intact, despite the fact it today is used as office space.
Godard Hall, post 1935 WPA era modifications.
The conversion to office space was undertaken in 1979, and included the installation of an elevator to access all levels. This resulted in over 12,000 square feet of usable
Godard's Hall rich history includes three appearances by orator, lecturer and presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan.
The Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway is a 70 mile route encompassing five towns and three villages within Erie County, New York. For a listing of points of interest signs aling the byway go to www.wnyssb.org .
Erected by Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway.
Location. 42° 30.58′ N, 78° 39.958′ W. Marker is in Springville, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east on Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 86 Franklin Street, Springville NY 14141, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goddard Memorial Hall, 1902 (a few steps from this marker); Springville and Sardinia Narrow Gauge (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Honored Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); 1992 The New York State Convention of Universalists (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village of Springville (about 300 feet away); First Church (about 300 feet away); George Schuster Wins 1908 NY to Paris Automobile Race (about 500 feet away); Citizens National Bank (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springville.
Also see . . . Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway. (Submitted on February 10, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.