Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
Home of the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph
Un palais de la presse à Québec
Designed in 1907 by Georges-Émile Tanguay, the architect of City Hall, this edifice was considered strikingly modern in its day. It features an imposing corner entrance and a dome turret that evokes the bell tower of the neighbouring cathedral. Built to house the Daily Telegraph, founded in 1875, it was home to the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph from 1925 to 1949. Quebec City’s only English-language newspaper continues to be published to this day.
Cet édifice, résolument moderne pour l’époque, fut conçu en 1907 par Georges-Émile Tanguay, l’architecte de l’hôtel de ville. Il se démarque par son entrée monumentale en angle et sa tourelle surmontée d’un dôme évoquant le clocher de la cathédrale voisine. Construit pour loger de Daily Telegraph , un journal fondé en 1875 ce véritable palais de la presse abrita dès 1925 le Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph, importante institution de la communauté anglophone de Québec qui publie depuis 1949 dans de nouveaux locaux.
Erected by Commission de la Capitale Nationale & Ville de Québec.
Location. 46° 48.81′ N, 71° 12.365′ W. Marker is in Québec, Quebec, in Capitale-Nationale (region). Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 Rue de Buade, Québec, Quebec G1R 3Z9, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Legislature of the Province of Canada (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); First Patent in Canada (about 120 meters away); Champlain Monument (about 120 meters away); Diamond Jubilee of Confederation (about 120 meters away); The VII Royal Fusiliers (about 150 meters away); Les Premiers Colons de Québec (about 150 meters away); Le Château Frontenac (about 150 meters away); Seneschal’s Court (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
Also see . . . History of the Chronicle-Telegraph - history. The competition between these two newspapers was disastrous. On July 2, 1925, the two joined under the name of the Chronicle-Telegraph and was renamed the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph in 1934. The new paper was controlled by William Price and James Carrel (William Price had purchased the Morning Chronicle in 1922). The offices of the newspaper were located on Buade Street. (Submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.