Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
Québec Martello Towers
Les tours Martello de Québec
Four Martello towers (three of which remains) were an integral part of the defences of Québec, the key to the control of the continental interior of North America. Works had been proposed in the Plains of Abraham since the early 1790s, but only after the Anglo-American crisis of 1807 did Governor Sir James Craig order construction of the towers. Built between 1808 and 1812, they were intended to prevent an attacker drawing close enough to lay siege to the walls of Québec. Their effectiveness was never tested in battle, and they became obsolete in the 1860s.
Quatre tours Martello (il en reste trois) faisaient partie des fortifications de Québec, lieu stratégique pour le contrôle de l'intérieur de l'Amérique du Nord. On avait projeté de construire des ouvrages de défense sur la plaine d'Abraham dès le début des années 1790, mais le gouverneur sir James Craig ordonna l'édification des tours seulement après la crise anglo-américaine de 1807. Érigées entre 1808 et 1812, elles devaient empêcher l'agresseur de s’approcher suffisamment pour assiéger la ville. Leur efficacité ne fut jamais éprouvée militairement et, dès les années 1860, elles devinrent désuètes.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments
Location. 46° 48.113′ N, 71° 13.037′ W. Marker is in Québec, Quebec, in Capitale-Nationale (region). Marker can be reached from Avenue George VI just from Avenue Taché, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Québec, Quebec G1R, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montcalm (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Frederick G. Todd (about 150 meters away); Martello Towers in Quebec / Tours Martello de Québec (about 150 meters away); O Canada! (about 210 meters away); Do You Know Joan of Arc? (about 210 meters away); A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham (about 210 meters away); The / Le Royal Roussillon, (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Martello Towers / Tours Martello (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the National Battlefields Park near Martello Tower 1.
Also see . . . Martello Towers - Wikipedia. They stand up to 40 feet (12m) high (with two floors) and typically had a garrison of one officer and 15–25 men. Their round structure and thick walls of solid masonry made them resistant to cannon fire,
The Martello towers were used during the first half of the 19th century, but became obsolete with the introduction of powerful rifled artillery. Many have survived to the present day, often preserved as historic monuments. (Submitted on February 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.