Pass Christian in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Dixie “White House”
Erected 2006 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 30° 19.367′ N, 89° 13.406′ W. Marker is in Pass Christian, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of East Scenic Drive and Lang Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Scenic Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 765 East Scenic Drive, Pass Christian MS 39571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Les Palmiers (approx. ¼ mile away); Independence Hall (approx. one mile away); The Star Spangled Banner (approx. one mile away); Declaration of Independence (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Liberty Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Flag of the United States of America (approx. 1.1 miles away); Constitution of the United States of America Blues & Jazz in the Pass (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pass Christian.
Regarding Dixie "White House". The Historic Marker reads John Backe, but the correct spelling should be John Bach or Bache, a resident of Jefferson Parish in Louisiana. John M. Bach, as the name is spelled in the Chancery Court deed records, did not acquire his Pass Christian homesite until May 1, 1852. Therefore, he did not build his house until after that date. He paid $1000 for the lot, which was the market rate at that time for a 165' Gulf lot, indicating that it was not likely to have had any significant structure previously built upon it.
The Historic Marker also reads that Miss Alice Herndon was the home owner when President Woodrow Wilson made his visit in 1913. Alice was in fact the daughter of Mrs. Thomas Herndon who was leasing the premises from Mrs. Marie Louise Ayer, widow of John Ayer. Mrs. Ayer, as owner of the estate, had offered her place, Beaulieu, to President Wilson for a Winter respite. Therefore, the supportive Miss Alice Herndon was the gracious hostess leasing the Ayer home at the time of the President's visit.
Also see . . .
Lost Forever – the Dixie White House. (Submitted on February 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. More about the Dixie White House. (Submitted on February 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.