Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thibodaux in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lafourche Parish Court House

 
 
Lafourche Parish Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
1. Lafourche Parish Court House Marker
Inscription. The square of land upon which this antebellum structure stands was donated by Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, founder of the town. The present building, erected in circa 1860, replaced two earlier ones built in 1818 and 1846. At one time the front entrance faced Bayou Lafourche. It featured an imposing portico with fluted Doric columns. A matching portico on the Green Street side and several wings were added over the years. One of the wings replaced the original entrance. Some of the building's ornamentation reflects a number of architectural styles including classical, Beaux Art and Neo-Baroque. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by the Lorio Foundation and the Lafourche Heritage Society.
 
Location. 29° 47.857′ N, 90° 49.196′ W. Marker is in Thibodaux, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Green Street and West 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south on Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Green Street, Thibodaux LA 70301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Mount Carmel Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Joseph Co-Cathedral (approx. 0.3 miles away);
Lafourche Parish Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
2. Lafourche Parish Courthouse
Saint Joseph Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confluence Of Bayous (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leonidas Polk (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rienzi Plantation House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Francis Tillou Nicholls (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thibodaux.
 
Also see . . .  Old Courthouse. (Submitted on February 25, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentLandmarks
 
Courthouse on National Register of Historic Places. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
3. Courthouse on National Register of Historic Places.
View of marker looking south on Green Street (One-Way Street) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
4. View of marker looking south on Green Street (One-Way Street)
1880's Court Bell. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
5. 1880's Court Bell.
Officials, citizens and Lafourche Historical Society restored this 1880's bell, rung in court, in 1993.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 25, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement